Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My baby is currently five month old, she has a runny nose…

My baby is currently five...
My baby is currently five month old, she has a runny nose and cough a little bit. She eat, play and sleep normally. Anything I can do?
1/7/2017
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations. I will first provide a summary answer to your question, AND, if you would prefer some additional back-and-forth, with additional questions and more details clarified, I'm more than happy to stay around with you, free of any additional cost to you. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Our goal here is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Non-Medication Choices

• Help the baby drink as much fluid as possible
  • Take hot baths as often as possible
  • Help your baby get as much sleep as possible
  • Consider putting a humidifier in the baby’s room
  • Consider putting a HEPA filter in the baby’s room
  • Elevate the feet of the baby’s crib to help elevate the head above the chest
  • Wash hands at least 5 times a day
  • Quickly alternate 5-10 minutes spent in a steam-rich room with time outdoors in cold air.

Reduce Ongoing Exposures

• • Keep your home free of allergens – close windows to outside, consider air conditioners/purifier filters, vacuum cleaners, and keep pets/furniture/rugs as clean and dust-free as possible
  • • Wash hands frequently during the day and avoid touching your eyes/mouth/nose/ears/hair with unwashed hands.

Consider purchasing a mucous vacuum device, such as a NoseFrida to help remove excess mucous

Of course, consider regular dosing of medications that are safe for the baby, including tylenol, ibuprofen, and benadryl, according to the pediatrician's recommended dosing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
many thanks doc

Have I missed any part of your posted question? Was I able to address the question you provided to your satisfaction? Can I clarify, or address any other related questions for you today?

If you would, please click on EXCELLENT with 5 stars. My goal is to have only the best, ***** ***** patients, and believe it or not, we doctors don't get compensated at all if the responses are not rated with outstanding scores by our patients like you. Any rating other than 5 stars suggests that something was wrong or missing, and the doctor has not tried to offer you a chance for improvements.

If you have any follow-up questions, I hope you’ll please save my direct link: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

Thank you! Hopefully, I'll get to connect with you again and I hope things will be going well!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
By the way, my daughter still doesn't take any solid food yet, she only have milk, if I decide to give her stuff like ibuprofen, how much I should give her, and how?

ibuprofen, tylenol, and benadryl come in infant formulas. These are all given weight-based.. so, depending on your daughter's weight, you would give a certain amount, every 4-6 hours.

Dr. Captain
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
many thanks
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain