Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

My son is 4.5 years old and like a lot of children his age,

Customer Question

My son is 4.5 years old and like a lot of children his age, is fascinated by bodily functions and parts ("poop" is hilarious, etc.) which seems normal; however, he's made the comment a few times when watching TV when he'll say "blank" made his "potty stick out" or "stand up" - for example, my husband had the original Indiana Jones movie on and there is one scene where Harrison Ford kisses the lead, he made the comment. He's made this comment a few if a girl is on TV (even a cartoon!) in a bathing suit, etc. Is this normal behavior? At 4.5 years old to get an erection from simply seeing a girl or small peck on tv?! I stay at home with him and my 2 year old, so I know he's not exposed to anything obscene (no rated R movies are played while he's awake, just as I mentioned above, Star Wars, Indiana Jones type family movies occasionally on the weekends when dad is home. I plan on bringing this up to his pediatrician at his next visit, but want to know if it's something I need to address now. Thank you!
Category: Pediatrics
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, I meant to also add that when he was 2.5 years old, I had a Victoria's Secret catelog out not thinking if need to hide it from a 2 year old (but of course never left them out from that point forward) and as I was making dinner, I noticed he was flipping through it and pointing to the girls bottoms and their chest saying "there's her butt, there's her nurse (I nursed him for 2 years 4 months and he would call my chest "nurse")" and when I went over to take the catalog away, he made the comment, "My potty is big, look!" ... so, at 2.5 this happened for the first time. How could simply just seeing a woman such a young age cause that reaction? Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 6 months ago.

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S.
I will try my best to help you.

Since when & how often does it happen?

I noticed your question was posted long ago, probably in wrong category.

Just now, it has been transferred to pediatric category.

Sorry, for the delay.
In this age or preschool period, children become aware as boy or girl.
He or she can try to explore their body parts.
They may do it purpose fully.
Environment, media like TV have a great influence here.
Please do not scold him.
Please try to make him understand not to do it in a mild way.
He will follow your words.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish him healthy life.
Regards.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the reply, but I guess I'm more curious if it's normal for a 4.5 year old to, without any type of touch (as we know with boys, it's difficult to get them to STOP touch themselves lol and I understand that they become more curious about body parts of their own and the opposite sex), that solely SEEING a, usually pretty girl, or one as I mentioned above, one may be in a bathing suit/dress, etc., or seeing a simple kiss (peck) on TV, would cause a child so young to have an erection or if I need to have him see a doctor? He does seem overly curious/likes girls more than I would anticipate a 4.5 year old boy to be/do, but then again, this is my first/only son so nothing to compare it to.

As you know that the child can be curious.
They try to understand gender identity.
Erections may occur.
Every child is different in their response.

It is not urgent to see his doctor immediately.
During next visit, you may discuss it with his doctor too.