Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Family Practice Physician
Experience:  14 years Family Practice experience including inpatient and outpatient pediatric care.
13781349

My daughter she 6 1/2 has on and off tummy pain. She does

Customer Question

My daughter she 6 1/2 has on and off tummy pain. She does have some constipation, which she and her twin have had for years now. The pediatrician thought it was a tummy bug. But it just comes and goes. She has seen the nurse at school several times and she was sent home a few times. We saw a gastroenterologist this week and she had her blood taken, awaiting a stool sample took test. I was just watching code black on tv, and they showcased a young girl who has had tummy pain when she was young, the actor has cancer. Now 22, She had seizures and dies in the episode by taking her own life. Is there any chance my daughter could have cancer,? How do I test for that?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 10 months ago.

Hello !

At her age she is VERY UNLIKELY to have any cancer as her cause of tummy pain. Discuss your concerns with her doctor but the occurance of cancers is not common for her age and the types of cancers seen in children would not typically present with abdominal pain. Her blood work may also probably include a CBC which is a blood count . That would serve in part to help screen against leukemia which can occur in children . Most cancers are more risk as we get much older however .

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Dr. Bray