Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 6 year old son has experienced bright emerald stools

Customer Question
My 6 year old son...
My 6 year old son has experienced bright emerald green stools since Saturday. He did ear black icing on cupcakes Wednesday and Thursday and some lucky charms cereal. How long should the green stools last?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
11/8/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S.
I will try my best to help you.

How many times does he pass stool?

How is the consistency?

Does he feel pain or any other symptom?

Hello again,
I was waiting for response from you.
Food color can cause green stool.
It would disappear in next 1-2 days.
Sometimes infection can cause green stool.
In infection stool is usually loose, frequent and can be mixed with mucus.
In that situation antibiotic can be needed.
You should consult doctor for an evaluation.
Give him bland diet, more fluid.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish him healthy life.
Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One stool per day. How long does it stay in system? Like I said, last black cupcake was Thursday.

One stool per day is not due to infection.

If the amount of stool is less, it can remain in the system for a few days.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician