Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Baby Having Runny Nose With Fever. What Can Be Done?

My son is 21 months...
My son is 21 months old and he's had a runny nose for 3 days. Today he has been wanting to be held all day and felt hot so I just checked his temp.. He is 103- He's sleeping now but I am concerned
He has a runny nose so stuffy but not wheezing or anything like that.
10/23/2016
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

When did you check his temperature?

Can you check it again?

How is cough?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has had this runny nose for 3 days. I'll check his temp again yes. He's felt really hot off and on today. 99.8 now. He feels cooler. But like I said he was burning up today off and on and just just wanted to be held all day. Little cough but it's rare he coughs. He has had four bowel movements that are diarrhea.

Thank you for the input.
103 is high at this age.
As the temperature has come down, you can wait & watch.
I would advise to get him examined by doctor in the morning,
It is likely a viral infection.
Babies can be wanting to be held up when sick.
Please try to keep him well hydrated.
You can give him tylenol if temperature begins to rise again..
Acetaminophen can be given 4-6 hourly but not to exceed 5 doses.
You can also give lukewarm bath or sponging.
I hope this information will be helpful.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. Should I be concerned with the diarrhea?

Diarrhea for 4 times in a day is not concerning.

Please give fluid, pedialyte to keep good hydration.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician