Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 4 year old is having fever since 2 days now and its

Customer Question
Hi , My 4 year...
Hi , My 4 year old is having fever since 2 days now and its between 99-101 .. on giving medicine temperature goes down to 99 or 98 but comes back aftrr 3-4 hours .. we are giving Crocin. However I don't see any other symptoms he is active playing just sometimes feeling sleepy
JA: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?
Customer: Fever is from 54 hours .. nothing respiratory symptoms.. just feeling sleepy
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing special
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/11/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S.
I will try my best to help you.

How is his stool & urine?

How is appetite?

How high does the temperature rise?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Stool is normal, appetite is little less , but taking .. temperature went high once upto 102

Thank you for the input.
Most healthy children can tolerate 102 degrees of fever.
Sometimes we can wait with higher temperature also, if the child does not have any other symptom & looks healthy.
You can give him ibuprofen.
A gap of 2-4 hours should be there between ibuprofen & paracetamol or crocin.
Ibuprofen can be repeated 3 -4 times, it can be given 6-8 hourly.
Paracetamol can be given 4-6 hourly but not to exceed 5 doses.
You can also give lukewarm bath or sponging.
Please give plenty of fluid to keep good hydration.
If the fever continues till tomorrow, I would advise to get him an examination by doctor.
It can be a viral fever which usually subsides by 3 days, though sometimes, prolongs.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish him healthy life.
Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am worried about any bacterial infection, do u feel that ? Or Dengue fever..

Dengue fever may vary in symptoms.
It usually cause much aches.
Common viral infection usually subsides in 2-3 days.
If the fever continues, he will need tests to rule out any bacterial infection, dengue.
After examination in person, doctor can decide whether tests would be necessary.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician