Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

Our son wears a medical heart monitor at night due to

Customer Question
Hi, Our son wears a medical...
Our son wears a medical heart monitor at night due to epilepsy. It alarms if heart rate goes too high or low this alerting us to a seizure.
His heart rate on the last few nights has been as low as 44bpm and up to 135bpm.
Should we be concerned? Could his be normal dream activity?
Many thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
10/10/2016
Pediatrician: Dr.S.A Alam, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty) replied 1 year ago
Dr.S.A Alam
Dr.S.A Alam, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)

Thank you for your question, how old is he ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is just 7 last week

Thank you for your reply, these are normal variation in the heart rate, unless he has symptoms of shortness of breath, unable to breath, stops breathing during sleep, snores. There is no need to worry these are normal variations in heart rate. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I guess this is normal during rem sleep for most children?
Is there a lower/higher rate that we should be concerned about? As Perhaps we need to change the parameters on his alarm?

Lowest rate less than 40 and highest more than 140-145 plus.

Dr.S.A Alam
Dr.S.A Alam