Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

At the outset, I respectdfully request that my questions not

Customer Question
be published: My boyfriend has a...
At the outset, I respectdfully request that my questions not be published:
My boyfriend has a double hair whorl. I've read that double hair whorls are pretty rare and can indicate abnormal brain growth. My boyfriend has a tendency to be a bit hyperactive and he has suffered with substance abuse issues in the past, but he made straight A's in school and has a graduate degree, so other than those things just listed, he's very intelligent and seems pretty normal otherwise.
We are planning to get married and have children, so I'm worried that this double hair whorl could be genetic, so I have the following questions:
1) Are double hair whorls indicative of abnormal brain growth in the majority of cases?
2) Are double hair whorls genetic?
3) If a parent has a double hair whorl (but has not been diagnosed with a mental disability), does the presence of the double hair whorl in the parent increase the risk that a child will be born with a mental disability?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
9/27/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S.
I will try my best to help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm being told my response is ready. I see your greeting, but not a response to the questions
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
Please write to customer care for not publishing your queries.

In 5% of people, there is normally double hair whorl.

Double hair whorls may be associated with abnormal brain growth but not in all cases. Exact percentage is not clear.

Usually it is genetic.

As the parent does not have mental disability, it will unlikely increase the risk in children.

I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish your healthy life.
Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What source says it is genetic?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sorry, but I was not provided with anymore info here than I was provided with a Google search. I wanted a very specific answer and, under the circumstances, please credit my account if it has already charged.

You can see this link that ' parent's hair whorls generally mirror their child's, notes McDonald.'

https://www.reference.com/beauty-fashion/causes-double-crowns-hair-5257976771e12bb1#

Hair characteristics are usually inherited. Please see this link too.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/466530_7

But the role of genetics is not clear always.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician