Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

We have an 8mth old who is teething and has a cold with a

Customer Question

Hi there,
We have an 8mth old who is teething and has a cold with a stuffy nose. When he sleeps, he is clocking 60-65 breaths per minute, non-labored, thru his mouth. Non-labored: not pulling in chest, no flared nostrils, not pulling in throat area...just really fast breathing.
We went to doc and varied that his airways are clear- and that it's just upper congestion. He is alert when awake, good cap refill, and eating/drinking enough to have wet diapers every 2-3hrs.
We were told that fast breathing wasn't too much to worry about as long as it isn't labored...but this panting in his sleep is freaking me out a little. How fast is too fast/when should we be concerned? :(
Thank you-
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

I think that his symptoms are due to the stuffy nose and the cold that he is having.

You should be on the lookout for fever, drowsiness and reduced appetite.

If these symptoms are happening then he must be seen in the hospital ASAP.

Other than that I would not worry whatsoever.

I think that his breathing problem will improve as his body takes care of the virus.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.

.

Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 10 months ago.
Hi, if the fast rate causes drying of mouth, pl. use mild decongestant nasal drops at bedtime. If cold persists beyond 5-7 days or if there is green/yellow secretion, pl. consult your pediatrician for antibiotic rx. Good luck to him.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you all for your reply. I just now saw them, however, as we ended up taking him to the ER prior to receiving the responses. His fever continued to spike in spite of cool baths and 5ml Tylenol every 4hrs..and breathing became more rapid.
Pneumonia...
He's recovering now-

You are welcome.