Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My newborn daughter is 7 weeks old. We are going to see

Customer Question
family today. My sister has...
My newborn daughter is 7 weeks old. We are going to see family today. My sister has a 20 month old boy who was throwing up all day yesterday and had a temperature of 99.5. I'm keeping my child away from my nephew. I have been told that I should keep my sister, brother in law and grandparents away from my newborn if they have been in contact with my sick nephew in the last 24 hours. Is that true? I would hate to tell them they can't hold my baby but I might have to
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
8/27/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S.
I will try my best to help you.

I am sorry for your problem.
Your nephew is likely having a viral infection.
It is highly contagious.
It can spread from person to person quite easily like holding hands, shsring toys, from touching infected surfaces.
Yes, you need to be careful.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. If it indeed is a viral infection and it was noticeable a day or two ago and let's say he looks and feels better today. Would he and the others around him still be carrying the virus? What is the recommended time to stay away from him or other infected children? Would it be advised to not sleep under the same roof as them?

Usually people are infectious from a few days before the symptoms appear to about 2 weeks after.
However, contagiousness is more when there are symptoms.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician