Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 4 year old has always been a handful. He has alway given

Customer Question
me a hard time bathing...
My 4 year old has always been a handful. He has alway given me a hard time bathing him, changing him and getting him to eat (dinner usually) Some days go smooth other days he will put up a fight. He is really shy around strangers but once he gets to know them he warms up. He does not like taking his socks off no matter what. He won't go into a swimming pool to save his life. He has certain routines like saying goodbye in one certain spot every time or he will get anxious and cry. All of this seemed to be normal phases up until last month on Sunday July 10 he got a fever for about 2 days. We took him to the dr but they told us everything was fine, but ever since that day he has changed. For the first week all he would do was cry. He didn't want to eat, play with toys or his friends, he looked so miserable and would cry if you would move anything crying for me to put it back where it was "the first time." From July 10th until now he still refuses to play with his own toys, does not eat like he use to( he will only eat if I "share" my food with him), seems really anxious/ nervous (bites his nails), cries over everything, cries/worries over moved objects, sometimes counts his bites of food and cries if he forgets what number he is on, and a small thing that breaks my heart is that he doesn't even want to buy any toys when we are at the store which was his favorite thing like any other kid. He has slowly eased into playing with his friends again, this week has been better but he has his moments in between playtime and after they leave he gets angry/ whiny. *he has always been angry/whiny for about 1 year now **please note that before July 10 he loved to eat even if it was hard around dinner time. He loved snacks, juice, food in general now he refuses to eat it even if he is hungry because if I share it with him he will eat/drink it. Before July 10 he loved playing with his toys with or without friends and for the most part was a happy kid though he has always been a handful.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I forgot to add I had been a stay at home mom with him for 2 1/2 years then started working part time in the evenings for about 2 years now. The first year he has fine about it but this year he has had a harder time when its time to say goodbye especially now
8/4/2016
Pediatrician: DrRussMd, Board certified general medicine replied 1 year ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified general medicine

Hi.

Sorry to hear about this.

What happened before the fever? [exposures, vaccinations, etc?]

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing, his friends that come over had a sore throat but his throat was fine

OK.

He might have had mono.

Ask the doctor to check for this.

This can last weeks.

If you are in a lyme area, ask for a lyme disease test.

Make SURE his vision and his hearing are OK.

If all of this does not find anything, have him see a pediatric neurologist.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent [5]—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you but I'm more concerned about his behavior. His routines and his anxiety.

His behavior reflects possible:

undiagnosed infection

Metabolic imbalance [thyroid]

Deficiency or toxicity [iron or lead].

Neurological disease, hearing or vision problem.

All of these need to be ruled out and it does not appear his doctor has done this.

If none of the above, then a psychological and learning assessment from a PhD clinical psychologist.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent [5]—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

DrRussMd
DrRussMd