Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

I am hoping to have this question answered quickly by a

Customer Question
Hello, I am hoping to...
Hello, I am hoping to have this question answered quickly by a pediatrician currently practicing in the US. I am noticing that all three of my children who are five, two, and one, seem to have what is referred to as Terry's nails. They are more on the waiter side with hardly any lunula and there is a dark line at the tip. I have read that an adult the signals a problem with the liver or the heart or other things. This has me panicked and I would like to know If this is also a very bad finding in kids, or if in kids it is insignificant. I appreciate your quick response.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
7/16/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Please upload photos.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How?

By clicking on Paper-clip like icon, you can upload file containing pic to this chat window.

Please see photo in reference : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4446927/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am on my phone and cannot get on desktop- is there any other spot I can send the pics to?

You can snap pic on phone, and then when paper-clip icon is clicked, it will allow to browse from your pic gallery, to select this pic for upload.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no paper clip icon!

Last on on right, from top array on chat window

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's not there on iPhone. I know this.

Pl try another photo-sharing site (http://s5.photobucket.com/) and give picture link to that web service

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a445/anggreg22/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskkjvij7w.jpg
http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a445/anggreg22/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnzkmt6fu.jpg
http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a445/anggreg22/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvurr6znw.jpg

Yes some nails do look like Terry's. But if your pediatrician has checked for liver, thyroid, heart or kidney conditions and babies are clear, no need to worry. You may consult nail-care professionals if there are any symptoms or nail condition progresses.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They haven't been checked for anything- that's why I'm asking you. So you do think it's a problem?

If no bodily symptoms like fast breathing, history of jaundice, burning pee, dry skin and lack of stamina etc there, please get them evaluated by pediatrician. If other signs are there, dr may order blood and other tests. In absence of any abnormalities, the appearance of nails may be neglected.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician