Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 8 year old son came home with a fever on Wed and Thurs it

Customer Question
spiked up to 103....
My 8 year old son came home with a fever on Wed and Thurs it spiked up to 103. Took him to after hours not strep, they saw some fluid in the inner ear and throat was a little sore. The took blood and his white blood count was on the high side of normal. Was prescribed cefnir ... Going on Sat evening and we have traveled to Punta Cana and he still has a fluctuating fever that is hard to manage with fever reducer. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/19/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
I am sorry for his symptoms.
Antibiotic can take sometime to act.
It can take 2-3 days to have full effect.
You can wait for a day.
If the fever still runs high, I would advise to take a review by doctor.
Antibiotic may not be working or there is resistance to it.
You can give ibuprofen & acetaminophen.
Ibuprofen can be repeated 3 -4 times, it can be given 6-8 hourly.
Acetaminophen can be given 4-6 hourly but not to exceed 5 doses.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish his healthy life.
Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician