Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

Grandson 7 1/2 months old. About a week ago he started

Customer Question
having extreme crying bouts. He...
Grandson 7 1/2 months old. About a week ago he started having extreme crying bouts. He is normally always happy and extremely well cared for. Everything will be fine and then he just starts screaming. No tears but nose gets snotty, he turns red and sweaty. He throws himself backwards. Nothing calms him. No response to rubbing back or tummy and can not feel any teeth coming up and he doesn't want you hands in his mouth. Not even to chew on. This will last about five minutes and then things go back to normal. Really concerned because nothing seems to sooth this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/1/2016
Pediatrician: Eric Goldstein, Pediatrician replied 1 year ago
Eric Goldstein
Eric Goldstein, Pediatrician

Hello. I just read through your question and I understand your concern.

One thing I would consider here is the possibility of acid reflux. Though it is more commonly seen at an earlier age, it can begin at any age. it would account for the extreme discomfort he feels, and the inability to be consoled, during these episodes. The snotty nose is also a feature of reflux. In fact, often there are babies that endure months of nasal congestion without the diagnosis of relux ever considered.

This is treatable and often resolves as the children get a little older. It would be a good idea to discuss this with your pediatrician and offer the possibility of reflux. if this does turn out to be the diagnosis, treatment will make a huge difference.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What would you recommend to give him for acid reflux and when to give. Dissolve tums or what. Give before eating or after. Or something other than tums. Have not researched liquid forms yet.

Typically, prescription medication, like zantac or prevacid, are prescribed. If you wanted to start something over the counter first, you can try maalox. i do recommend consulting with your pediatrician about this. but again, maalox would be the best over the counter choice.

Eric Goldstein
Eric Goldstein
Eric Goldstein, Pediatrician