Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 7 year old son had fever i gave him dimetapp for 3 days

Customer Question
My 7 year old son...
My 7 year old son had fever i gave him dimetapp for 3 days he has 2 days without fever but now he has cough yesterday i gave him dimetapp it help for fever but didnt help for cough do ihave to wait 24 hours to change anothertype ofmdicine?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
5/15/2016
Pediatrician: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

It is better to avoid using dimetapp as its efficacy is not proven.

His cough is likely viral infection related.

No OTC medication is effective per current studies.

The cough will recover by itself over next few days.

Honey and lemon drops may be helpful.

If fever returns along with cough, then bacterial pneumonia should be ruled out by a clinical evaluation.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist