Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

When washing your hands are you supossed to work into a lather

Customer Question

When washing your hands are you supossed to work into a lather first then start the 20 seconds of scrubbing or can you just put non foaming soap on your hands and start the 20 seconds while rubbing even as it lathers
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,Thank you for your question. I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.You need to lather soap first.Make sure to lather the back of your hands, between fingers & under the nails.Then start scrubbing.Scrubbing should be done for at least for 20 seconds.I hope this information will be helpful.If you have any query, please feel free to ask.If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating. Wish your healthy life.Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So rub until it turns from a lotion into a lather then start the 20 seconds

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Yes.Turn it into lather & then start 20 seconds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is the proper procedure from start to finish to wash hands?

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Wash your hands first under running water.Then make lather with soap & scrub as I wrote before.Finally, wash again under running water.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it okay if sometimes it is less than 20 seconds because you lose count like 15 seconds or less even.

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
It is better to do more than less.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also is it okay if you miss getting some soap lather off after rinsing, like on the sides of your hands where you cant see, and is still on there when you dry them and you wipe it off with the towel.

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
A little amount may be taken care of by body's natural defence.But it would be safer to be careful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just a little bit in places you cant see is okay though since you dry it off anyway

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
I think I have answered it already.Please do not worry.