Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

My son was born with a DTGA and had his arterial switch

Customer Question

Hi Dr,
My son was born with a DTGA and had his arterial switch successfully at 5 days old. He is 7 months now and doing very well. However, in his last visit 2 weeks ago, the doctor told us that he has PS with 45 degree. He had 3 echos in the first three months and this has never been mentioned to us. I was hearing loud sound from his heart since he was 3 months but I thought it was normal after the surgery. What could be the causes of his PS? Do I have to go back to the hospital where he had the switch to get their opinion? What could be the reason that this wasn't detected earlier by the other doctors? Is the PS diagnosis always accurate? What are the success chances of the catheterization procedure in his case?Thanks in advance for your clarifications and support.Karima
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

I am sorry for his symptoms.

Pulmonary stenosis is a common complication of arterial switch operation.

It can develop any time after surgery.

It is seen 7-40% of cases who underwent surgery.

This is a common cause for re intervention.

Sometimes repeated catheterization can be needed to open up the stenosis.

He will need regular followup with echocardiogram to diagnose any further stenosis in the early stage.

I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Wish his healthy life.
Regards.