Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

My almost 8 year old has had a fever days. On and off

Customer Question

My almost 8 year old has had a fever for 6 days. On and off between 100 and 103. He is 2 days into an antibiotic. Why hasn't the fever subsided yet?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,Thank you for your question. I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.Does he have any other symptom besides fever?Did he have any test?Which antibiotic is he taking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was diagnosed with a sinus infection. He is rotating between ibuprofen and acetaminophen. He had just a fever for the first few days. Now he has a cough, sore throat and a fever. He seems very tired. But not tired enough to sleep. The antibiotic is Cefdinir.
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the input.Antibiotic can take some time to act.It can take 2-3 days too to have its maximum effect.You can wait one day more.If there is no improvement, I feel he will need a review by doctor.The antibiotic may not be working & he may need a change of it.A few tests like blood counts, X ray, throat swab may be needed.Please give him adequate fluid, keep at rest.I hope this information will be helpful.If you have any query, please feel free to ask.If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating. Wish his healthy life.Regards.