Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

Happy Easter :) My 7 month old usually has Similac Alimentum

Customer Question
Happy Easter :)My 7 month...
Happy Easter :)My 7 month old usually has Similac Alimentum (hypoallergenic) formula, which he's had since birth due to some difficulties in the NICU with hypoglycemia and having trouble with other formulas at that time. Our pediatrician has suggested we try new formulas at his age now. The Alimentum is very thin liquid, and my son has reflux and has a lot of big watery spitups lately, due to his always wanting to sit up now that he's learned to situp it puts pressure on his tummy. So we have begun to introduce a new formula, Similac for Spitup (with the added rice starch). We usually give him 3 scoops of Alimentum. 5 days ago we started introducing the new formula by replacing 1 out of 3 scoops of his bottle with the new formula. The spitup improved immediately, and we didn't notice any adjustment type of problems at first. But on the 5th day, all day, he was grunting and straining to pas gas all day and in the evening at bedtime it became worse, poor thing was crying a lot and clearly uncomfortable.We had introduced a new solid food the day before his onset of gas problems. Sweet potato puree.Is it more likely that the gas problems are due to the new formula introduction, which he'd been having for 5 days, or the new solid food introduction, which he'd had the day before?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
3/27/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hi, Please try to first adjust him to full replacement of new rice fortified formula, and then couple of weeks later, introduce sweet potato.

And also try giving quarter to half teaspoonful of baby gripe mixture, couple of times a day. He may need to be burped for longer periods after feeds, meanwhile.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician