Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My three year old son has a fever of 103.3...he has had an

Customer Question
elevated fever for 2 days...
My three year old son has a fever of 103.3...he has had an elevated fever for 2 days now...I am treating him with liquid childrens motrin once in the morning and once in the evening...can you please give me advise
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
3/25/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
I am sorry for his symptoms.
Most healthy children can tolerate 102-103 degrees of fever.
Sometimes we can wait with higher temperature also, if the child does not have any other symptom & looks healthy.
However if the temperature does not come down readily, he needs to be seen without delay.
High fever can precipitate convulsion or seizure in some children, so we are cautious about it to avoid such issue.
You can give him acetaminophen too.
A gap of 2-3 hours should be there between ibuprofen & acetaminophen.
Ibuprofen can be repeated 3 -4 times, it can be given 6-8 hourly.
Acetaminophen can be given 4-6 hourly but not to exceed 5 doses.
You can also give lukewarm bath or sponging.
Please give plenty of fluid to keep good hydration, keep the room warm & humidified.
I would recommend to get an examination by the doctor in the morning.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish his healthy life.
Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician