DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified general medicine
Experience:  Treat babies to elderly with medical and integrative therapies; all situations; innovative treatment
24257177

My 7 year old son woke up during the night complaining of

Customer Question

My 7 year old son woke up during the night complaining of stomach pain. We were in a hotel and it was 3 am in the morning so I only had a few things I could I give him. I started with some peppermint tea and propped him up on extra pillows so he was elevated. The tea helped but then he woke up about an hour later again with pain so I gave him some unsweetened apple sauce (from Whole Foods so no additional additives). This did not help either and he vomited afterwards. There was very little vomit other than some applesauce and bright red pieces/red dots. My question is about this. The only red food he ate the night before was a few cherry tomatoes but that was at 6:00 pm and he vomited at 5:00 am. Shouldn't the tomatoes have been digested and out of his stomach by the time he vomited? I feed him limited tomatoes because he has fructose malabsorption and always try to balance it with other food when I do.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Many times the stomach will not empty with a viral infection.

In any case if this continues or if he still has pain, he needs an examination.

Can it be an ulcer...yes.

Can it be a small bowel obstruction, unlikely but possible.

It is more likely viral gastroenteritis.

Red dots are not typical of bleeding.

Usually stomach bleeding vomitted is either frank red blood or coffee ground like material

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here