Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter has a stomach virus. Shes been vomiting fir 10…

Customer Question
My daughter has a stomach...
My daughter has a stomach virus. Shes been vomiting fir 10 hrs,,the last 4 hrs were dry heaves, It has finally stopped. Should I give her lquids or soft\ft food yet? Please advise.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
3/5/2016
Pediatrician: dogdoc4u,
 replied 2 years ago
dogdoc4u

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your daughter's dog is vomiting. First, please no food nor water for 6-8 hours. If there is continued active vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is he needs to drink to maintain hydration but if she is actively vomiting even water he is becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves until morning

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in the morning

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting her comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Dr, Altman. this is my daughter vomiting not a dog.
Pediatrician: dogdoc4u,
 replied 2 years ago

Ah so you are miscategorized. Please bear with me while I change categories. Please do not respond while we are awaiting some additional medical help and apologize for any misunderstandings

Pediatrician: Anthony Bray MD, Family Practice Physician replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Family Practice Physician

Hello!

I would advise liquid diet only for first 12 hours since her last vomiting ...

Soups / Gatorade / tea / jello ( some replenishment of electrolytes along with fluid is helpful which is why I don't say just water ...something not as dilute as water may be better tolerated )

Main concern would be that she get dehydrated ( watch for her feeling light headed on standing , racing of heart ---resting rate more than 100...)

She may benefit from medication for nausea ...

Does her stomach hurt?

Any fever ?

Diarrhea too??

If severe stomach pain / fever more than 102/ bloody diarrhea / signs of dehydration >>> then these may be signs to have her checked tonight at ER ...

Certain conditions may need to be treated as so ...she may benefit from meds for nausea such as Zofran or Phenergan which they could give her ...they would be able to check blood tests and examine her ...

If she stays at home then over the counter measures that could help nausea may include Dramamine / Benedryl / Emetrol / Pepto Bismol

Watch for muscle cramps ...as sign of electrolye issues such as low potassium...

Once past 12 hours without vomiting then advance to bland type diet ...again soups / breads/ rice / potatoes / applesauce / etc...

I hope that this information is helpful for you Let me know if I may be of further help

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD