Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 5 months old. For the last 6 weeks, he has been…

Customer Question
My son is 5 months...
My son is 5 months old. For the last 6 weeks, he has been sick. The cold will start off with a cough that progressively worsens, stuffy nose and chest congestion. The cough quickly gets to the point that he coughs so hard until he throws up. He gets very mucousy. He has been diagnosed multiple times with an upper rewspiratorh infection. He has seen his pediatrician multiple times who has done CBC which showed elevated wbc but nothing else abnormal. His lungs have always been clear. I have taken him to ER twice because of severity of cough and told the same thing over and over again - his lungs are clear, it's upper respiratory infection and he may get them back to back being in daycare and I have to let it run its course. He does get fevers with this as well; the highest of which being 102.5. My concern is the pattern and duration. When he first got sick, it was about 2 weeks when we saw drastic improvement and thought he was better. As soon as we thought he was better, his nose filled up and he began coughing again and within 6 hours was back to the beginning as if we hit a rewind button to the beginning. We cycled through again and as soon as he turned the corner doing better, we went backwards again. By the third round, his pediatrician found that he had an ear infection and put him on a 10-day course of amoxicillin, which has resolved the ear infection, but this round has been for two weeks. Yesterday was the turning point where he started to do better and I found myself not able to get hopeful because that is usually the day he gets worse again, but he had a good day. It is now 2:00 am, I have changed him 4 times due to vomiting/coughing, the cough is worsening as it always does and I just can't take the answer of this is normal and needs to run its course. It has been 6 solid weeks!! What do I do? Is there something I can ask for - a consult, a test, anything that I'm not doing? As soon as he starts getting better, every toy, blanket, dear cover is washed daily if not multiple times. I just don't know what to do and I can't keeping watching him go through this. Please help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
2/29/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

How many times did he have the blood test?

Was chest X-ray or any other test taken?

How is his weight gain?

I'm unsure if my response sent. His weight gain is good. He is a big boy. He is 19 pounds and ha maintained his appetite for the most part. He has not had amh chest X-rays. They have said with lungs clear, they don't want to radiate. And the CBc was done once at the beginning of all this.

Thank you for the input.
There can be different infection by different viruses.
Sometimes children can catch it very easily.
After a viral episode, bacterial infection can supervene.
No need to take him to ER.
You can take him to his pediatrician or at the pediatric department of a university hospital.
Repeat evaluation can be needed.
Repeat CBC, Blood culture (if doctor feel necessary), urine routine and culture can be done.
If there was any serious issues, he should lose weight during this 6 weeks.
However you take him to doctor.
I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

Wish his healthy life.

Regards.