Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

I had food poisoning on Thursday, which caused me to have…

Customer Question
I had food poisoning on...
I had food poisoning on Thursday, which caused me to have diarrhea. My diarrhea has stopped but now I am having lots of gas, nausea, a headache, and my stomach is making tons of loud noises. I have only had 1 bowel movement in the last 36 hours, and it was normal, but very small. Should I be concerned?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
2/28/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hello, No concern as you seem to have developed temporary enzyme deficiency due to upset or a virus. It will set right by itself in few days.

Please meanwhile avoid meat, spices and other heavy stuff. Please take plenty of liquids and also some enzyme capsule or syrup after main meal once or twice for few days..

What would be an example of an enzyme capsule? It is alright for me to drink a can of soda? Could I have a partial obstruction?

Soda will only increase gas in system. Please use non-aerated drinks. Partial obstruction is very unlikely in absence of stomach distension and vomiting of bile color.

Try Optim health digestion, Nature's Way food enzyme, etc. You can get OTC so ask your pharmacist for locally available ones.

Okay. Should I be concerned about the nausea and headache?
Or the gas?

Hi, I posted earlier but has not appeared in page. Headache could be due to low sugar in blood, so please take more sugary water and drinks, and tylenol for it. Nausea and gas will pass, no need to be concerned.

Please see your doctor if vomiting develops, not getting better in couple of days, or stop passing gas.

Ok. Vomiting has not developed, but the diarrhea has started again.

Please get a sample tested in lab for microscopy

If white cells found you need prescription drug. Else just take yogurt and electrolyte water with sugar or glucose.