Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 4 and last year he has been in few short courses…

Customer Question
Hi there my son is...
Hi there my son is 4 and last year he has been in few short courses of steroid. Only for two nights. This year due to severe cough that didn't clear up they put him on 5 nights redipred 2mg daily. Upon stop his skin has gone real thin and dry and he has developed stretch marks under his arms. His skin is all red and on fire. I can't find anyone to help us. He breaks out in rashes and we are just really struggling. Gp ordered morning ACTH and cortisol. ACTH 15 normal range (5-50) and morning cortisol 340 normal range (240-720). I am just so upset this has happened to him. The last dose he has had was October 2014 and his skin is getting worse by day. He complains of a do pain and often knee pain as well. Please help us. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
He complains of abdo pain and knee pain.
Test was done fasted and at 8:00 am
2/23/2016
Pediatrician: dr abid, Board Certified Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question .

First thing is that steroids donot cause such a bad skin issue in few days treatment .

In context of knee pain , skin issue , rashes it is highly likely the viral infection , and he should be checked for viral infection.

You should get his serum Ig E antibodies to check out allergies .

Meanwhile viral titres should be done .

So GP not but the Pediatrician should be consulted regarding his issue .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please leave positive feedback for me .

Thanks .

dr abid
dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Pediatrician