Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 6 year old had 4 spontaneous nosebleeds in a two day

Customer Question
Hello! My 6 year...
Hello! My 6 year old had 4 spontaneous nosebleeds in a two day period two weeks ago. One nostril only. Lasted a couple of minutes. They ran a CBC and it was perfect. He had another nosebleed yesterday, same nostril. Lasted a minute. I've been putting Vaseline up his nose since yesterday. It is dry here as well. I'm a worrier and was concerned it could be leukemia. No other symptoms. CBC would have showed signs, right? I have a lot of anxiety about this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
2/21/2016
Pediatrician: Dr.R.K, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr.R.K
Dr.R.K, Doctor

Thanks for posting your query.

I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Nose bleeds are quite common in children.

The most common reason is nosepicking.

The front part of the nose contains lot of blood vessels and nose picking results in bleeding.
Also when the nose is dry and the dry layers gets removed it results in bleeding.

You did the right thing by applying vaseline over the dry area.

Applying pressure over the nostril for sometime will arrest the bleeding.

Coming to your apprehension about leukemia, it is unlikely as the CBC was normal.

If it was leukemia, the CBC would have shown abnormal counts and low hemoglobin.

Since it was normal, I do not think he has leukemia.

All you have to do to prevent bleeding is to make sure he does not pick his nose and also apply vaseline if his nose is dry.

I hope that answers your query.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,

Dr.R.K.

Ok thanks. So it's not unusual to get several nosebleeds in a couple of weeks?Do some kids get them weekly?
it's not unusual to get several nosebleeds in a couple of weeks? Do some kids get them weekly? Thank you for your response. I'm just a worrier!

Yes it is not unusual to get several nose bleeds within a short span of time.

As mentioned earlier, dry nose and nose picking are the common causes of nose bleeding in children.

So please do not worry.

If there are no more questions, kindly rate this service.

Regards,

Dr.R.K.

So please do not worry.

Regards,

Dr.R.K.