Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Last week my daughter fell in a basketball game and hit the…

Customer Question
Last week my daughter fell...
Last week my daughter fell in a basketball game and hit the inside of her elbow. She got a small bump and nasty bruise. She had pain, but it has slowly gotten better over the last week. She had minimal swelling that went away after a few days. She has been able to use her arm and participate fine in practices and games, only complaining of occasional pain. Tonight she hit the floor again and is again complaining of elbow pain. There isn't any new bruising and only minimal swelling, she just has pain with movement. She is able to do full range of motion, extend her arm, touch her fingers to her shoulder while fully bending her arm, and flex her wrist in all directions when her arm is extended. She said she does not feel or hear any clickimg or popping. After she fell she continued to play in her game and shot baskets. My question is, should I be highly concerned she fractured her elbow? Would she be able to move her elbow this much if it were broken? Or is it just badly bruised from taking a beating on the court?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
2/19/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
I am sorry for her symptoms.
It does not sound to be fractured.
There can be soft tissue injury, bruise.
She needs to keep it at rest.
Icing can be done.
Tylenol can be taken.
If the pain increases, I would advise to get her examined by doctor.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

She was in a fair amount of pain tonight, but I would assume that to be due to the aggravation of the bruise from last week, correct?

Yes, I also think so.

I am very relieved to hear it is most likely not a fracture. She would be heartbroken to be sidelined from her game. Is there anything I should watch for that would be indicative of a fracture?

There should not be a risk of fracture without further trauma.
If the pain become intense or if there is abnormal movement of the limb, abnormal sound or crepitus then you may suspect a fracture.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician