Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 17 yr old daughter has had a fever for 6 days. Flu and…

Customer Question
Hi,I'm John .my 17 yr...
Hi,I'm John .my 17 yr old daughter has b had a fever for b 6 days. Flu and strep test negative. What's next?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
2/18/2016
Pediatrician: Dr Josh, Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Does she have sore throat?

Cough? Running nose?

Do you know if she had burning sensation during urination?

Any other symptom?

Couugh, sore throat, runny nose. No burning during urination. No apatite, but drink plenty of fluids.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

Please wait for the answer.It may take upto 10 minutes.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Ok, thanks

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply & waiting online.

Although most of sore throats are caused by viral infections.But this can also be bacterial (other then strep infection).

Sore throat caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within one week with no complications.If the symptoms persists beyond 7 days,it is generally & usually due to bacterial infection.

As your daughter is having Cough, sore throat, runny nose,fever since last 6 days, I advise you to wait & watch the symptoms for another 1 day & if still the symptoms persists then she may need blood tests & throat swab to know the exact underlying causative organism & then antibiotics will be prescribed accordingly.

Till then she can take tab.sudafed(oral decongestant tablet).Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.

Hope this helped

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh