Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

4 days ago a had breakfast and this small place. After I…

Customer Question
4 days ago a had...
4 days ago a had breakfast and this small place. After I felt my stomache really full and kinda of upset. Last 3 days my stomache hasn't been 100% and I've been getting random fevers as well as diarriha. I still get hungry and eat but very picky. Any idea ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/13/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Leah, Board Certified Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hello and thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well.

From what you have described, it sounds like you may have gotten "food poisoning" from eating at the restaurant. It could've been either from the people handling the food without using proper hygiene or how the food itself was prepared. What is concerning about your symptoms is that you are having fevers. This is most common in cases of bacterial gastroenteritis such as those caused by Salmonella, Shigella or E. Coli. If you have noticed streaks of blood in your diarrheal stools, this is typically from a bacterial infection.

Most cases of viral gastroenteritis self-resolve in 48 hours. Because you've had symptoms longer than 48 hours and have a fever, you should be seen by a doctor for stool testing. A stool test will determine exactly the cause of your symptoms and how to treat them.

In the meantime, I would drink lots of fluids containing electrolytes to replace what you are losing via the diarrhea (Gatorade, Smart Water, etc). I would also avoid any dairy or lactose-containing foods as these tend to exacerbate stomach pains and diarrhea.

Since you are not vomiting, it is ok to try to eat food, but avoid anything with dairy and that is greasy.

Simethicone may help relieve some of the gassiness and cramping. I would avoid medications like Pepto Bismal or loperamide which can prolong your illness.

If you have further questions when you return online, feel free to ask. :)

Hello. I'm just checking on how you are doing. Let me know if you have any further questions.