Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Daughter had a very swollen upper lip last night. Very

Customer Question
sudden, no foods out...
Daughter had a very swollen upper lip last night. Very sudden, no foods out of the ordinary, no medicine, no dental appointment?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
2/12/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

How is the swelling now?

Is there any bite mark?

Is there any other symptom?

No bite marks, no rashes nor other symptoms
Happened to her once before due to an allergic reaction to an antibiotic.

How is the swelling now?

Still swollen, has not subsided
This isn't really helping so..
I will keep monitoring her breathing and take her to her doctor in the morning if her condition doesn't change.

Thank you for the input.

Response to allergen varies from person to person.

Often the cause of allergy may not be determined.

Benadryl can help in allergic reaction.

You can repeat the dose after 6 hours.

Ice can be applied.

Local hydrocortisone cream can be applied if it is in a small area.

If the swelling spread inside the mouth, you need to take her to ER.

If it does not improve, oral steroid can be needed.

You need to consult doctor if the symptoms continue.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

Wish her healthy life.

Regards.