Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

I am a f practice doc on vacation...looking for some neutral…

Customer Question
I am a f practice...
I am a f practice doc on vacation...looking for some neutral party advise... 3rd day of swimming on hot island with cool breeze... my 3.5 year old son complained that he was really cold and was indeed shivering... he has been cold before- no big deal. Dried him off and tried to warm him up. His feet and hands were cold his lips blue... they warmed up and put him in the car... when I got back to our hotel I pulled him out of the car and he was hot. Really hot. And he said his heart hurt... I'm not sure he knows what that means but he did point to his heart area... I checked his temp... it was 103.6... fever? I thought maybe some pleurisy? Lungs clear. Heart tachycardia but normal rythm. Everyone has been sick around us.He was too cranky to take medicine- he kept saying everything hurt- all over- elbow- and exhausted so held him and he slept and cooled off in the airco. When he woke up about 2 hours later temp was down to 101. His behavior normal... playful. Gave him motrin and temp went down to normal. At night I noticed he was hot again probably spiking a fever but didn't wake him. In the morning he said his throat hurt.but it looked normal. Temp 100.2, I found my Otoscope and he had left tm red bulging. Gave motrin and started amox.
SO, I can't keep from worrying that I didn't recognize heat stroke/exhaustion or am I over reacting to simple otitis... it's driving me nuts that he said his heart hurt... and if it was heat related why was his shivering? He has been fine all day today... no further fever. How often do kids get heart damage from heat stroke? Would an ekg be a good idea when we get back to the states? Any thoughts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
2/4/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hello, please do not worry but just some muscular pain.

Please however watch pulse rate etc.

Also keep hydrated and change antibiotic after culture or streptest if fever persists.,

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician