Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 11 month old son has breastfed only since birth. This…

Customer Question
My 11 month old son...
My 11 month old son has breastfed only since birth. This morning I noticed something in the corner of his mouth but breastfed anyways. Now it looks a bit like a pustule. I have never has cold sores or herpes and neither has my husband. I will take him to a doctor as soon as I can to have it looked at, but for now... can I breastfeed him or will I risk catching the herpes virus myself?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
1/31/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

I would not rush to think this is herpes.

If you are concerned then take him to the ER so you can get an opinion on what this pustule is.

As a parent of five children, all of them breast fed, I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD