Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Is ketoconazole 2% shampoo safe for 1 month old babies and…

Customer Question
Is ketoconazole 2% shampoo safe...
Is ketoconazole 2% shampoo safe for 1 month old babies and can it cause permanent damage?
My pediatrician prescribed this for my son when he was a month old because he seemed to have cradle cap and sensitive skin. The doctor said it was safe to use 3-4 times a week. So, I did. His head would get red and bumpy at times but the doc said it was the product working. My son is three months old now and I washed his hair with it last night and he has red puss-filled bumps all over his forehead. Realizing now that he was probably having an allergic reaction this whole time, I am worried I've caused permanent damage but my pediatrician doesn't seem concerned.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/24/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

Ketoconazole shampoo has been found to be safe in different studies.

It is also most effective.

You need not to be worried.

Pus filled ones is likely to be a bacterial infection.

I would advise to get an examination by doctor.

Antibacterial cream may be needed in addition.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

Wish her healthy life.

Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician