Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My daughter is 7. Her eye is red and watery. She had some

Customer Question
green discharge in the corner...
My daughter is 7. Her eye is red and watery. She had some green discharge in the corner of her eye by the lacrimal caruncle. It's just one eye, but it looks like there is some yellow discharge in her lower lid inside the eye. Not much, just noticed it when she was rolling her eye around. I thought kids her age don't get bacterial pink eye? Or cN this still be viral? She did have a fever yesterday and the day before and is congested.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
1/21/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
It can be bacterial conjunctivitis as she has fever, greenish discharge.
Though viral conjunctivitis is common, but bacterial conjunctivitis can also occur in children.
She needs an examination by doctor.
Antibiotic drop, ointment and or oral antibiotic can be needed.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
everything I read said viral is more common at her age. Is bacterial rare at her age?

Yes, viral is more common than bacterial.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
bacterial is rare? Or just viral is more common? Can it be a colored dis charge with viral?

Usually discharge in viral infection is watery.

Sometimes in healing stage, it can be colored.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In bacterial infections how fast does the mucus usually accumulate after you wipe it?

It depends on the severity of infection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's not excessive but within 30 to 60 minutes it's back. Like I said not an extravagant amount. Just a little collection in the corner of the eye and maybe a speck on the bottom. Is that normally how it goes?

You should take her to doctor asap to start treatment.

It seems to be a moderate infection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What type of bacteria causes it? Shes had a sore throat with the cold so I wonder if it is strep?

Strep, staph, hemophilus etc. can cause the infection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we went to the pediatrician and it was viral. They said the congestion in her chest and nose was the adenovirus. And surprisingly since her chest cold is clearing up her eye is much better. Just watery now and a little tiny bit of pink!

It is relieving to know that she is improving.

It is in the healing stage of viral.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician