Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Took my 3 yr old son to dr yesterday. He had a fever

Customer Question
sun-mon, cough and runny nose...
Took my 3 yr old son to dr yesterday. He had a fever sun-mon, cough and runny nose. Dr said rsv , and just give him robitussin? Now he woke up with gunky eyes, matted shut, kinda red when awake, but not as gunky? Is it just from sinuses? Or should I go back to dr
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
1/21/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

This is likely from a viral infection.

It can affect eyes.

You can wait & watch.

You can clean it with cool water compress.

If he complains of pain, swelling of eyes, I would advise to get him examined by doctor.

Antibiotic drops can be required.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

Wish his healthy life.

Regards.

Ok. Should I still get him the flu vaccine? I'm just worried about his cough? It dosnt seem to be better even with robitussin?

There can be a bacterial superinfection.

If you do not feel improvement with syrup, he can need antibiotics.

Vaccine can be given after the present infection subsides.

Ok. Anything I should watch for as far as symptoms that need emergency care? He has never been this sick before? It's a little scary

If there is any respiratory distress, high fever like above 103, he would need emergency care.

Ok. He had 103.2 on Sunday but I didn't know when I should worry? Man I feel kind of silly now:( I guess I should have taken him in sunday. He hasn't had a fever since mon and it only got to 101 then.

Please do not worry.

If the fever responds to treatment, it would not pose danger.

Ok. His eyes seem to be getting worse so I guess I'll take him in in the morning, his cough seems a little more wet too?

Yes, please take him to doctor in the morning.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician