Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My son has had a red spot under his eye for at least a year.

Customer Question
It seemed like it "burst"...
My son has had a red spot under his eye for at least a year. It seemed like it "burst" at one point but after he scrubbed off what looked like dried blood, it seemed even worse. Yesterday he had red cheeks and when he woke up he had red dots around his mouth. He is 12.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
1/21/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

Can you send a picture?

Does he have any other symp***** *****ke fever, cough?

he says the larger spot hurts a bit when he opens his mouth wide.

Thank you for the input & the pictures.

The initial red spot can get inflamed or infected from scratching.

Infection can spread to other part of the face.

Motrin can be given if the pain is much.

You can apply neosporin cream.

If the spots continues to increase in size, number, pain, I would advise to get an examination by doctor.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish his healthy life.
Regards.

Thank you. I don't think I was clear though. These two events happened over a month apart. He just had the one under his eye for ages and now he has the one by his mouth and small ones by his lips months after that first one seemed to burst.

Which one is tender?

Did you get these checked by doctor in this period?

First one never bothered him at all besides the appearance. I just assumed it was an odd birthmark. The others just appeared yesterday.

When did the spot under the eye burst open?

When did he scrub it?

The one under his mouth hurts a bit when he opens his mouth. The spot "burst" about 2 months ago. It looked as if little capillaries were spreading out from it but when he scrubbed it, it seemed to disappear, only to start appearing more red later.

I was not aware it burst 2 months back.

Then the two may not be related.

The upper one can be freckle, vascular malformation.

The new one is likely from an inflammation or infection.