Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My son is 4 and he was put on redipred ( prednisolone) 2mg

Customer Question
hi there my son is...
hi there my son is 4 and he was put on redipred ( prednisolone) 2mg for 5 days for persistent cough. upon stop all his skin has got red and sun sensitive. he has rash all over his face. his skin is a mess. head to toe he is pink like a pig. i am so stressed i took him to a gp which said this will go away within 6 to 8 weeks but it has already been 5 weeks and his skin is so bad and getting worse. i am so concerned for him. he has been on this drug a few times this year but for only 2 to 3 days and we never had any issue. will he ever be back to normal again? thanks p.s: his skin is utterly dry as well and has developed sensitivity to everything which eh never had prior to the use of this drug.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
1/17/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

How is cough now?

Does he have any other illness?

Did his doctor give any other medicine?

Can you send picture?

hi there cough is gone and no other illness at all or other medication. just overall pinkness of the skin and sun sensitivity. wouldn't be obvious in the photo i guess. as its general discoloration and thinness of skin. thanks

Thank you for the input.

Allergic reaction to prednisolone is not common.

We usually give prednisolone to treat allergy, but sometimes allergy can occur with prednisolone too.

It can take some time.

Zyrtec can be given.

Moisturizer can be used to prevent dryness.

As it is not improving, or even gets worse, I feel you should take a referral for a pediatric dermatologist.

Spontaneous improvement may not occur.

Other medicines can be needed to cure it.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

Wish his healthy life.

Regards.

hi thanks. does this happen if the steroid is stopped abrupty? should it have been tapered after 5 days? could adrenal insufficiency happen only after 5 days of redipred? i just find it a bit odd that he didnt have any issues while on it but the problem has started after the stop of the drug. thanks have you encountered such a thing before with steroid?

You are welcome.

Yes I have encountered such reactions to steroid before. It did not happen from abrupt withdrawal.

For short duration of steriod, tapering is not required

It is not a symptom of adrenal insufficiency.

Sometimes allergy does not show-up during first few days, but sensitivity can develop later on.

Wish his early recovery.

oh thank you. if you dont mind me asking how do you normally treat your patients that have developed sensitivity? i have taken him to tow doctors and they just don't seem interested and keep telling me it will wear off which it hasnt. thanks heaps

It depends on the severity, individual response.

Moisturizer, caladryl lotions are often used.

Oral antihistamines are also given.

thank you. his is pretty severe as in regards ***** ***** sensitivity and bright dry pink colour. will it ever go back to normal or this is permanent? I am beside myself with this. is there any other medication that will help him recover as antihistamins only help with the itch not the sun sensitivity and bright pink colour of his skin? thanks

I think the skin will go back to normal.

It takes sometime to settle.

Please avoid sun exposure for the time being.

Moisturizer can help.

thanks and there is no other medication that can assist apart from antihistamines?

Did you consult any dermatologist? If so, when?

no no dermatologist as there is none in our town. only pediatrician but has a long waiting list. should i take him urgently to dermatologist?thanks

I would advise to take him to a dermatologist for an evaluation.

An in person examination is needed at this stage.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician