Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 2 month old son is currently hospitalized because his

Customer Question
stool is like water he...
My 2 month old son is currently hospitalized because his stool is like water he has been like this for over a week. They can not figure anything out so I am looking everywhere I can. He was severely dehydrated and is now on TPN and lipids everyday his wbc and liver enzymes were really elevated along with his albumin being low. They have tested for bacterial infections but those have been negative labs are looking better but his poop is still water. They have even put him on formula because he was breastfed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
1/16/2016
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
Long continued diarrhea can take a long time to recover.
It might have started as viral or bacterial infection, after adequate treatment infection gets cured.
If the diarrhea continued for a long time, intestinal villi are destroyed or thinned out.
It can take time to heal or regrow.
During this time food may not not be tolerated.
So, the doctor tried TPN to give rest to the intestine.
Now they are trying to introduce oral feed gradually.
I understand your anxiety.
It can take time to resolve.

Do not worry.

I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish his healthy life and early recovery.
Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician