Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My three year old has had a terrible cough for the last 3

Customer Question
Hi. My three year old...
Hi. My three year old has had a terrible cough for the last 3 weeks now. Theist couple of nights have been bad. She has been coughing so hard that she has thrown up the last three nights. Tonight before bed I gave her some NyQuil cold and cough. It was about 3 ML. That was about five hours ago and she has vomited twice. The first time about two hours after I gave her the NyQuil and once more about thirty minutes ago. I am now reading (online) that giving children Tylenol, even in small amounts is not a good thing. I normally don't and will never again give NyQuil to her again, but just wanted to get another opinion. She now seems to be resting a little and is breathing fine. I checked for jaundice around her eyes and for bluish nails or lips and both are fine. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
11/30/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

Occasionally, we use children NyQuil when the cough is intractable.

At this age, usually 2.5 ml. is prescribed.

0.5 ml extra would not cause side effects.

You need not to worry.

However, as the cough is continuing for 3 weeks, I would advise to get her examined by doctor.

I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician