Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years of experience.
54412793

Our 2 year old granddaughter who is traveling to MN for the

Customer Question

Our 2 year old granddaughter who is traveling to MN for the holiday has been exposed to foot, hand and mouth disease. We are not concerned about our selves but Saturday we are to be with a niece whom is one and a great aunt who has just been diagnosed
with cancer. What are our concerns, should we cancel the get together?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified physician. I can help you today.

I'm sorry to hear about your granddaughter. I wonder how long ago she was exposed and if she is showing any signs of the disease herself. Children tend to show signs of the disease while more often adults will not. The virus can be spread even if there aren't symptoms.

This is a tricky one. Close contact can spread the virus and it's hard to imagine that you wouldn't be having close contact with your own grandchild. So hugging, kissing and even a close sneeze can spread the virus.

Usually it's recommended that someone with the virus be kept home out of contact with others until the disease has passed.

Any questions? I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was exposed about 4 days ago, she acts totally normal but today she developed a rash. Our get-together is Saturday.
Should we cancel? I read on line it is spread through saliva and threw feces.
Dont know what to do???
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If she developed a rash then she will be contagious. The rash usually comes before the blisters. This is the most likely time she will be contagious. The virus can be spread on surfaces. It would be best if her parents kept her isolated at home without a lot of contact with others.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Any more questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. I'm glad to help. I hope she gets through it quickly so visiting can be normal again soon. Please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Further questions?