Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

Our 35 month old daughter, I am questioning if she has

Customer Question
anything on the spectrum? From...
Our 35 month old daughter, I am questioning if she has anything on the spectrum? From a social and emotional perspective she does lack interaction with other children's as our 5 year old and 1 year old have food allergies and social gatherings are very
challenging. From a language perspective, she is shy around others so she does not carry on much conversation. She also repeats a lot of what her 5 year old sister says if they are playing toys. From a cognitive perspective, there are no issues. From a movement
perspective she does not show many signs, but a few oddities are... Still walks on tip toes a decent amount. Also she seems to cross her middle finger over her index finger a decent amount to. She is a little clumsy at times, but not anything I would worry
about on an singular basis. Otherwise from what the cdc website show as milestones she hits without issue. Should I explore an in home assessment. We are approaching her 3 year old well vist and want to be prepared.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pediatrics
11/22/2015
Pediatrician: khagihara, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty) replied 1 year ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)

Does she have the following things?

• Social and emotional give-and-take in social settings — for example, an inability to engage in normal back-and-forth conversation, a reduced ability to share experiences or emotions with others, or problems initiating or responding to social interactions
  • Nonverbal communication behaviors used for social interaction — for example, difficulty using or understanding nonverbal cues, problems making eye contact, problems using and understanding body language or gestures, or a total lack of facial expressions
  • Developing, maintaining and understanding relationships — for example, difficulty adjusting behavior to suit various social situations, problems sharing imaginative play or in making friends, or a lack of interest in others
  • Odd or repetitive motor movements, use of objects or speech — for example, body rocking or spinning, lining up toys or flipping objects, mimicking sounds, or repeating phrases verbatim without understanding how to use them
  • Insistence on sameness, rigid routines, or ritualized patterns of verbal or nonverbal behavior — for example, extreme distress at small changes, expecting activities or verbal responses to always be done the same way, or needing to take the same route every day
  • Interests in objects or topics that are abnormal in intensity, detail or focus — for example, a strong attachment to unusual objects or parts of objects, excessively limited narrow areas of interest, or interests that are excessively repetitive
  • Extra sensitivity or a lack of sensitivity to sensory input or an unusual interest in sensory aspects of the environment — for example, apparent indifference to pain or temperature, negative response to certain sounds or textures, excessive smelling or touching of objects, or visual fascination to lights or movement
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Social interactions with those she is not familiar with, yes. But with those she is familiar with, she has no issues.She might not understand all the nonverbal cues, but otherwise she is OK.She is shy. She does not open up around other kids she is not familiar with. We take her every 3 months for a hour hour per week Toddler time at our local library. She is hesitant around those kids, but her sisters or cousins she is one to playing.No odds or repetitive behaviors.We are a very rout Me driven family so she adjusts a little slower to change than her 5 year old sister,Mobutu it is not a meltdown situation.She has her favorite toys like Cinderella, but is not repetitive in nature.She is not a fan of loud noises, but has gotten much better in this area. A loud mower, snowblower are not her favorites, but she does not cry at the vacuum or things like that.I have tired th online aspergers or mchat quizzes and she does not appear to be Ina worry category. But I am hoping I do not answer these In a bias nature.Does that help?

To meet autism spectrum disorder, she needs to have the first four across multiple situations and at least two out of the following four. I don't think she has autism spectrum disorder. She would grow out of it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I apologize to some of the Apple auto correct.OK, so some of the odd quirks like the toe walking and finger crossing should be outgrown. We want the best for her and do not want to be late if she would need other help.Oh as a final note she really has not set to a dominant hand. She can do most things like tracing a circle with both, or writing letters of the alphabet. She can eat with her silverware from both as well. We thought she would be a lefty but appears at times actually to favor using her right than left now??Perhaps her motor function is a little behind when I look at the issues, as they relate to motor and or physical compared to her other senses. Though she could ride a bike with training wheels at 30 months!

Some people use their right hand for writing and left hand for sports. You don't need to worry about the issue.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician