Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My six year old had a normal evaluation at an optometrist

Customer Question
about 5 months ago but...
My six year old had a normal evaluation at an optometrist about 5 months ago but for about 1 month has been complaining of seeing colored blotches in her field of vision. trying to evaluate what my level of concern should be.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/20/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

that is good she had a normal vision evaluation 5 months ago.

when does she see these colored blotches?

is she in school? going ok in school? no problems seeing the blackboard?

No vision issues at school, some concerns about reading. I thought part of the profile read that you are rad onc, is that correct? I was expecting ophtho or peds:)
Thanks,
Stephanie

the question was posted in pediatrics for 1 hour and no doctors took the question

that is why it was moved into a general medicine category.

that is good no issues at school.

you didn't answer when she sees these colored blotches.

It can be any time, no associated symptoms. Not worse in the morning or end of the day.I am a physician as well, internal med, so was hoping for an opinion beyond what I would know myself, hence the questions about specialty.

well, I am happy to opt out

but you might be waiting for a pediatrician or an opthalmologist.

Thanks for the explanation. I think I would prefer to wait for peds or ophtho.

ok

Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Sorry about this issue.If the problem is on both sides, there is some central nervous issue of visual cortex and MRI brain may help. If only one sided, there may be retinal vessel issue, so MRI or ultrasound may help. This of course after direct ophthalmoscopy.

Good luck to her.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician