Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My daughter started having chronic ear infections since she

Customer Question
had her very first at...
My daughter started having chronic ear infections since she had her very first at 9 months old. She has had 4 sets (yes, FOUR) sets of ear tubes in 17 months. The ear tubes never stopped the infections from recurring but did allow the fluid to drain when
they were infected. Her ears are probably draining 6 out of 12 months of the year (it's pretty chronic). She is now 32 months (2 1/2). Here is her med hx/surg hx:MEDICAL HISTORY: 8/13 – 12/13 – Chronic Ear Infections 12/13/13 – Myringotomy 02/16/14 –Severe
Ear Infection (purulent fluid and blood in ear), vomiting, dehydration & RSV - Family Health Care Assoc >>> Cooks Urgent Care >>> by ambulance to Cooks FW 10/03/14 – Repeat Myringotomy (One tube fell out – Replaced both) and Adenoidectomy 11/14/14 – Repeat
Myringotomy (Right Tube blocked after 5 weeks – Replaced both w/ bigger tube) 05/29/15 – Repeat Myringotomy (One tube coming out, replaced both with T-Tubes) Okay, the problem now is that her tube came out this morning. She was laying on her back, I was changing
her diaper.... it was discovered by her gagging and putting her fingers at the back her mouth. She pulled it out on her finger and there it was, the blue ear tube. I looked in her left ear (otoscope) and sure enough it was out. The left ear was also draining
purulent fluid in was running down the side of her face. This tells me 2 things. 1.) It's NOT a T-tube (this is the basic ear tube). 2.)There's obviously still an open hole in her eardrum if her ear is draining like it is. I am obviously looking for a new
ENT, as we were told at the consult he planned to do T-Tubes and that they wouldn't come out... I knew I should have been concerned when every time prior to surgery he referred to this as being her 2nd time (when it was her 3rd or 4th...). In the mean time,
her pedi is calling in an antibiotic and trying to refer me to someone new.... I'm so nervous about her losing her hearing from 1.) Chronic ear infections or 2.) So many repeated myringotomy's. Is having this many sets of tubes really unheard of? Is it very
risky to have this done again. Her speech is "okay" but I don't think she's really where she needs to be. Side note: She's never ever been suctioned. I'm always told to just use ciprodex drops if her ears start draining. Is this normal not to suction? Thanks
for any help you can provide. I'm just impatient knowing it's going to be a while before a new ENT will see her as a new pt.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
11/5/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hello, sorry about this long history. Sure repeat infections increase danger of damage to nerves and bone structure conveying sound.

Please ask ENT to get MRI done to rule out bony invasion of infection and need for more invasive surgery to clean mastoid cells.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician