Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

I'm worried about my week old son. He is occasionally

Customer Question

I'm worried about my week old son. He is occasionally stiffening his legs and arching his back. Of course Google points to cerebral palsy and that's scaring me to death. This usually occurs after feeding with formula. Could it be gas/colic/ acid reflux? He is also pulling his knees into his chest. He doesn't seem to show any symptoms of cerebral palsy other than leg stiffness and occasionally he'll cross his legs. I'm a scared first time mom.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

Was it normal delivery?

Is he term baby?

Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry about this issue. The diagnosis of cerebral palsy comes as a static condition much after an acute brain insult at birth and once rigidity sets in, remains static so in your case it does not at all appear likely due to voluntary and transient crossing of legs. More likely to be related to acid reflux so please get it investigated by pH test of esophagus by sensor.

Please get prescription for antacid and zirtec like drug if your newborn specialist agrees. Enjoy your baby.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was 3 weeks early, but apgar scores of 8 and 9, non emergency elective c section. It seems that he is more stretching, and maybe his formula is a problem too. I tried some tummy time, he seems like he tries to move his head up but is not yet strong enough. Is this something to worry about? I read that he should be trying to pick his head up on his tummy.
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the input.

3 weeks early deliver is usual.

It does not seem to be cerebral palsy.

Small baby can stretch normally.

Some may do a bit more often.

As he is doing it mostly after feeding, it is likely due to infantile colic or reflux as you thought of.

The cause of colic is not clear.

You can hold him upright after each feed.

Burping can help to expel gases.

Reflux can occur in small babies too.

Sometimes medicines can be required or formula may need to be changed.

During next checkup, doctor can prescribe medicine if it is needed.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish his healthy life.

Regards.

Head holding more than momentary is not possible this soon. Please wait till 8 weeks age for neck control to stabilize. While asleep please keep head end of crib bit elevated and allow to sleep on either side. Burping time should be increased after each feed.