Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My baby is 3 months old and he is constantly needing to burp

Customer Question
only has cat naps during...
My baby is 3 months old and he is constantly needing to burp only has cat naps during the day due to waking needing to burp have tried many different formulas and nothing works he is very uncomfortable and sometimes in pain from them what is it and what can I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
10/26/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

Did you consult doctor?

When did the symptoms start?

the doctor said he will grow out of it. This if not right this is my third child i know something is wrong and it's not fair to let him be so uncomfortable and in pain and we are both sleep deprived. It started about 2 weeks old

Thank you for the input.

The symptoms of constant burping can be due to acid reflux.

In small baby reflux or acid peptic disease can occur like adult.

Relaxation or weakening of valve of the stomach and esophagus can cause reflux.

When babies grow up, it usually subsides.

Head end of the bed/cot can be high up to prevent reflux.

Smaller, more frequent feed, changing position or interrupting feedings to burp — can help keep reflux under control.

If the home measures do not help, then treatment with medicine can be needed.

Though he is only 3 months, still thickening of feed can be tried.

Rice cereal is less allergenic & is usually well tolerated.

Acid reducing agents like ranitidine or zantac, omeprazole, lansoprazole etc. are also used.

An examination by a pediatric gastroenterologist can be taken.

You can consult his own doctor for a referral for a pediatric gastroenterologist.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

Wish his healthy life.

Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician