Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My son was 42 days old, born 5 weeks premature in a hospital

Customer Question
when he was strobed in...
My son was 42 days old, born 5 weeks premature in a hospital when he was strobed in the hospital due to a fire alarm system in the hospital. What are the side effects that can be experienced physically or mentally when exposed to a strobe light for 12
minutes with the strobe light going off at a rate of 1 flash every 2-3 seconds? I know after the strobe event my son lost 22 grams of weight. What are the side effects of being hit with a strobe light mentally and physically?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/14/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

Strobe light can precipitate seizure in those who are predisposed to it.

As he did not have any convulsion, he is unlikely to have any such effect now.

I feel you should not be worried.

Weight loss may not be related to it.

It can occur fluid loss, less intake, increased temperature.

22 gms. can be regained over next weeks.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

Wish his healthy life.

Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician