Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My son came home with a fever yesterday and a small headache

Customer Question
Hello. My son came home...
Hello. My son came home with a fever yesterday and a small headache and dizzy and a very dry mouth is it just dehydration
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
9/18/2015
Pediatrician: Anthony Bray MD, Family Practice Physician replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Family Practice Physician

Hello!

How much of a fever has he had? (Note that normal oral temp range us 98.6 plus or minus 1.3 degrees so 97.3 to 99.9 is normal range -- true fever is 100.0 or higher )

Has he had any diarrhea?

Any other symptoms ? I am curious as to the cause of his fever. This would be most expected to be some infection if he truly has fever....most common would be respiratory or gastrointestinal or urinary tract infections

The dry mouth sounds likely a symptom of dehydration, yes but why is he dehydrated?? Dizziness, dry mouth , frequent thirst, frequent urination could be of concern for presentation of type 1 diabetes. This is not likely statistically but important to not miss this as potential cause if other symptoms should fit ...

Reasons for fever and the dry mouth/dehydration are key. I think he warrants being checked over....an urgent care this pm or Peds office in AM May be options

I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD