Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 9 year old son woke up this morning with a sore, red

Customer Question
throat and headache. His...
My 9 year old son woke up this morning with a sore, red throat and headache. His temp is now 103.3. He is drinking sprite, having some chicken noodle soup and not vomiting. Can I wait and watch before taking him to see a doctor?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
9/14/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

Your requested expert is not on line so the question remain unanswered for long.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

From his history, it can be due to a viral or bacterial infection.

103.3 is high temperature.

However, you can give him tylenol or motrin.

It would bring down the temperature.

Tylenol is good to control fever.

Ibuprofen can be given as well.

If it comes down, you can wait & watch & take him to doctor in the morning.

A swab test would be helpful to rule out bacterial infection.

Please give him plenty of fluid to keep good hydration.

Tepid sponging can be done.

Warm salt water gargling can be soothing if he can do it.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask to continue conversation by using reply button.

This will help me to explain further & satisfy you.

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

Wish his healthy life.

Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician