Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

I put 4 small drops of honey on the baby gums because the

Customer Question
babies teeth are coming out...
I put 4 small drops of honey on the baby gums because the babies teeth are coming out so i wanted to know if there was any harm in doing what i did? Should i be concerned for the babies health and if so does he need medical attention soon?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
9/14/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

Small baby under 12 months can have infection like botulism from contaminated honey.

The organism usually survives in the soil, but it can contaminate honey easily.

Small infant may not handle the infection.

Some common symptoms of botulism infection are weakness, slow cry, poor feeding/ sucking, difficulty in breathing, floppy legs, arm, neck and severe constipation etc.

Often it does not cause any problem.

You need not to worry now.

You should observe.

Hopefully nothing will happen.

If you find any of those symptoms, please consult doctor.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

Wish her healthy life.

Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician