Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Dear Doctor,My 2 year old girl has been having a very bad

Customer Question

Dear Doctor,My 2 year old girl has been having a very bad odor from one nostril for about 5 days. Green secretions apprared also. However, no fever, she keeps playing and acting very normal and eating. I looked inside her nose and I saw like white pus and some blood. Im so worried, till now I only gave her physiomer or saline. What do I do?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 years ago.

Im sorry to hear about your daughter. There are a few conditions in which this can occur. The first one is that a simple viral infection can cause a greenish discharge from the nose as well. The color of the discharge does not always necessarily indicate a bacterial infection, it can be the result of viral infections or even simply an allergic reaction.

Secondly, the bad odor coming from the nose however can be indicative of several things. It can result from a sinus infection which can cause the bad smell. It can be due to the post nasal drip. Sinusitis can be treated initially with the saline washes which you have already done and in ceratin cases antibiotics may be needed.

Another condition which can cause the bad smell, is the presence of a foreign object inside the nasal cavity, considering the age of your daughter it is possible that she put something up in there which usually children can do. If that is the case her nasal cavity needs to be thoroughly examined by a pediatrician.

Lastly the pus and blood inside the nose can also be indicative of a staph infection inside the nasal cavity. In simplified terms it is like a boil inside the nose which looks like pimple. Once it bursts it can release pus as well as blood.

These are some of the possiblities which can be the causes of what is happening with you daughter. However in all of these scenarios you will have to see your pediatrician in order to determine what is that cause. You shouldn't worry, the best thing to do right now is get an opinion from your pediatrician and have him examine her nasal cavity. Usually this can turn out to be nothing however in presence of blood and pus in the nose i would strongly recommend that you see your doctor.

Most of the infections listed above may even get better without antibiotics, and are treated with simple topical therapies like saline washes etc but in certain cases antibiotics may be needed, again dependent on the patient and results of the examination.

I hope this answers your query.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

I forgot to mention a condition known as ozena, which can cause pus blood and bad odor from the nose. That too requires an intervention from your pediatrician or the ENT specialist.